Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Do you know about “Kawasaki Daishi “ ? by Thaa

Do you know about “Kawasaki Daishi “ ?
 Let’s know what you should do when you visit a Japanese temple.

Firstly when I heard about  “ Kawasaki Daishi temple“ from my Japanese teacher as one of a famous place in Kawasaki town , I told myself that  I have to go there somehow and I wish to know about this town much more.

Kawasaki Daishi Station

When a weekend came up, I went there by Keikyu Kawasaki train and got off at Kawasaki Daishi Station.
  


A shop of Daruma (Japanese Dall)
 

 Kawasaki Daishi is a small town located in Kawasaki city area. I walked along the road and found the gate of Kawasaki Daishi.While walking that road I saw many souvenir shops, but the one of my favorite was a shop of ’’Daruma’’. Kawasaki Daishi was called,  the town of Daruma (Japanese Dall).I am not sure that have you ever heard about “Japanese Doll “  before or not.But for me it ‘s my first  time. There is a quite intereseing story about these Daruma.The original of these Daruma doesn’t have their eyes, do you know that why?? .I ‘ll tell you.It’ s about the Japanese faith.It ‘s believed that if you bought it, and drew one eye of theme , then you pray your wish. After your wish come ture you have to draw them another left eye.Most of Japanese pray for their health to be recover when they get ill,or pray for their victory when their big match comes.In that case they will draw both of its eyes like it is going to be come true for sure.                                                                                                                                    

Tontoko Candy

After passed another gate of Kawasaki Daishi, we turned right at the corner, suddenly I turned I heard a loudly knocking sound. It is a sound of an old Japan traditional candy which the candy craftsmen cut freshly made candy with knives rhythmically.
 Tontoko is a word that they named their sweet candy and also a meaning of a sound when the candy maker chops the candy. I also heard the sound of an antique song which flew along the wind blows. It’s really felt good. At an entrance of Kawasaki Daishi temple, there are many shops both of a road side. 

Finally we reach to the main gate of Kawasaki Daishi Temple or the Japanese would call it that “ Dai- Sanmon”. At the Dai-Sanmon you will meet four heavenly kings there, one on each side, east, south, west, north. The unique of this temple is many sacred building was build and gathering here in this temple area. I’ll tell you later what it has in here.

Before I mention about some of my impressions in this temple.  I will tell you about what you should do when you go to a Japanese temple. Let’s start with a Misuya or A purification water hut. Here is your first stop, everybody have to purify themselves by washing their hands and rinsing their mount. First, start from your left hand, then a right hand, after that rinsing your mount, finally wash a dipper and place it in the same place. Then you finish with a Misuya.


Misuya



Next stop will be a Koro Incense Burner, you offer incense to Buddha so that smoke can purify you, the Japanese also believes that you can receive Buddha‘s wisdom by this smoke.


Koro Incense Burner

Next stop that I would like to introduce you is The Dai-Hondo or the main hall, the biggest hall in this temple. I think this hall is the most important place in this temple, because an image of KOBO DAISHI, the priest who started to build this temple, is enshrined here. I sat there and close my eyes for a while, it made my heart feel peaceful. And I think you can feel the same with me. The priests come to this main hall every day to pray and do a Goma ceremony. The Goma ceremony is about a Goma wood burning for beseeches Buddha for world peace.     

The Dai-Hondo (Main Hall)


As I told you this temple is quite unique from the other temple, because they are many beautiful buildings here. You will see a Buddha statue, a five-story pagoda, a statue of Kannon, and also Nyorai Building here. First when I saw a pamphlet, I really doubt that why there are many kinds of statue here, so I asked a priest and the answer is the reason that why many kind of statue were built here is because The Buddhism is everywhere in this world .That why you can see many represents of Buddhism were built here.
the pilgrimage of Kobo Daishi
One of my interesting is the below picture. This is the Yakushi-Den, an image of Yakushi Nyorai is enshrined here. This place also be famouse about The first driver who would like to pray for safety.The interesting of this place is you have to find which God would be your angle. There are many of gods stand beside of the Yakushi Nyorai. The Asian people count their birth year for 12 of animals, and these twelve of gods are the represent for your birth year. You can check your birth year by the symbol graph which patch at the wall. After that get a bookmark from the temple staff, stamp your own angle and it will be finish. Now you will know which god is your own angle. Would you like to do some? Please do that if you stop by here someday.

Yakushi Nyorai

Let's check who is your own angle
 
the pilgrimage of Kobo Daishi
Actually there are few statues that I liked. One is the statue represents the pilgrimage of Kobo Daishi. You will see many straw slippers here. People will buy a straw slipper and put it in front of this statue, then the will pour the water on that straw slippers for pray. It’s believe that this act will bring them to be good health and for their stamina when on lengthy journey.

A shrine of Shotsuka Baasan
Another one is especially for women who which to pray for her beauty. I was told from a local woman there that there is one of a little shine in this temple which be famous about a praying for beauty. The woman who wants to pray will bring a lipstick with her and place it at a shrine of Shotsuka Baasan. They believe that they will get beautiful after that. No one can tell me that it is going to be come true or not, but at least it can support these women ‘mind to be more confident for her own beauty. I think it is a wisely tale.
Well, there are still more many statue there, but I think you have to experience this place by yourself.
Except the Daruma, a Tontoko Candy, the temple, I have one more to introduce you. It’s a Japanese traditional  cake of wheat, or called in Kuzumochi. Most of Mochi in Japan made from rice, but not a Kuzumochi which made from  wheat. Back to the old age, when the war happened, the local people in Kawasaki Daishi could grow only  wheat not  rice and there was not a refrigerator like these day. They cannot keep this wheat for along time, so they use these wheat to make a Kuzumochi as their meal when they are going to work for their hard time.
Kuzumochi


Now a days these Kuzumochi still be famous as a local specially product. And I had tried some few deserts of Kuzumochi. These are the picture of them. The right picture is A Kuzumochi Sunday and the left is a traditional Kuzumichi with a black syrup. I have to said it was really delicious. I hope you could have a chance to try it someday.

Daishi Park
 

Finally I would like to tell you that Kawasaki Daishi is not a place of a famous temple only, but there are many interesting place to see here. If you a kind of a traveller who like an excitement, this town will not fit for you, but when you get tried from your long trip and if you want to be in some peaceful place that you relax and also can feel a generous mind of a local people. You must come here. I think I am good luck that I had a chance to walk to Daishi Park which near to the temple. Watching the town, seeing people there, also some of little greeting with people there made me felt at home.
a wind-bell festival




For the traveller who loves to see some special event, I suggest you to come here around the middle of June. There is a wind-bell festival at Kawasaki Daishi Temple every year. And I went there. I took some of picture of that festival too. The wind-bell from the north of Japan, Hokkaido, till the south of Japan, Okinawa, will show in this festival . There is also have a Samba Dance and the traditional Japanese Dance during this period too. Try to come here and ask yourselves  that do you feel good for this place like me or not! 

Tour Guide
Via Keikyu Line (Train)
Take the keikyu Line to Keikyu Kawasaki Station. Transfer to the Keikyu Daishi Line to Kawasaki Station. The temple is an 8-minute walk from the station. (A convenient place to catch the keikyu Line is at Shinakawa Station)
From JR Kawasaki Station (Train)
Exit from the east exit and follow the signs to Bus Terminal No.9. Take Kawasaki Tsurumi Rinko Bus No.23 to the Daishi bus stop.The ride takes about 20 minutes.The temple is an 8-minute walk from the bus stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment